The Ottawa Skeptics aim to promote the use of the scientific method, critical thinking and rational thought in our community. Ottawa Skeptics supports high standards of scientific integrity, academic freedom and the free exchange of ideas. We have one bias: Science is the best method for determining objective truth.
Please contact us if you have any questions or information about local strange occurrences or claims. We enjoy researching and answering people’s questions about the paranormal, conspiracy theories, alternative medicine, and other issues that are ‘on the fringe’ of science.
The Ottawa Skeptics produce a weekly 45 minute podcast called The Reality Check that explores skepticism, scientific controversies and curiosities.
We also hold regular events; if you live in the Ottawa region and would like to join us, please feel free to come along; upcoming meetings are announced on facebook and meetup.com. Even if you don’t live in Ottawa, you’re more than welcome to register and participate in our forums.
The Ottawa Skeptics run a monthly Skeptics in the Pub meeting (in the spirit of Café Scientifique) which takes place on the second Sunday of each month. Although it is held in a pub, our events are family friendly. Children and infants are welcome!
Past topics have included:
· Dr. Leslie Sage of Nature on why astronomy matters
· Alternative Fuels: How to Drive to the Grocery Store Without Killing Everyone On The Planet
· The science of names
· Intravenous Treatment for Multiple Ailments: Panacea or Fleecing of the Gullible
· Dr Yoni Freedhoff: weight loss myths
· Debunking common climate change denial myths
· Justin Trottier: “The New Age Movement & Science: A Love-Hate Relationship”
· The likelihood of alien life evolving on other planets
· Why evolution is true
· Homeopathy: the dilution delusion
In addition to the monthly talks, we hold regular Drinking Skeptically social events, a Science-Based Pub Quiz every three months or more, an annual Darwin Day celebration and in 2011, we staged a mass homeopathic overdose on Parliament Hill. There were no fatalities.